Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A Few Favorite Recipes

Hello, my name is Robyn and I'm gluten free. :) Always makes me think of the typical AA meeting that you see on TV or something. Anyway, after 4 years of being gluten free, I have learned the do's and don'ts that work for me and my body. I always improvise with my favorite flour (Arrowhead Mill's All purpose Flour) since it seems to be the easiest to substitute. I also enjoy the texture after using it.

The latest that we just made was Skinny Baked Broccoli Macaroni & Cheese. It was AWESOME. I will give you the recipe I followed but put my substitutes in a different color.



*375, Casserole Dish, Bake 15-20 min
12 Oz  elbow noodles (quinoa elbow noodles)
2 tbsp  Butter
1/4 C   flour (Arrowhead Mill's All purpose)
1/4 C   minced onions (1/2 C copped green     
            onions)
2 C      Skim Milk (organic Vit.D whole milk)
1 C      Chicken broth
2 C      Cheddar cheese
Salt & Pepper to taste
12 Oz  cut broccoli (1 pre-cut frozen bag)
1/8 C   Parmesan cheese

Cook pasta (al dente) and broccoli. Combine.
Melt Butter in Skillet and add onion and cook low heat for 2 min
Add flour and cook another minute until flour is golden
Add milk and chicken brother and whisk. Raise heat to medium to boil and cook 5 minutes until sauce is thick and smooth. Salt and pepper
Once sauce is thick, remove from heat and stir in cheese and mix until cheese is melted.
Add pasta and broccoli and mix well
Pour in dish and top with Parmesan
Bake uncovered.
*Rob and I both agreed that if you wanted to add chicken to this dish it'd be really good too. We plan on adding chicken cubes to this next time and adding a little bit more salt. 



Enchilada Pie

*375, Casserole dish, Bake 45 minutes
2-3 Cans refried beans
2-3 Cans diced tomatoes (I use the Italian herb kind)
1    Can corn, drained
1    Packet taco seasoning
lots of Cheddar cheese
12   corn tortillas, smaller
Sour cream

Mix together beans, tomatoes, corn, and taco seasoning.
layer tortillas, beans, cheese. End with Cheese. 
I like a lot of cheese so I always do a pretty thick layer. 
Cover with foil and bake. Take off foil after 30min and stick back in for 15 min to crisp up the top layer of cheese. 
I usually use a 13x9 glass pan and will use 2 cans of tomatoes and 3 cans of refried beans. Its all personal taste...I like it more firm and cheesey...you can't really screw it up. 
Enjoy!


Lasagna

I do everything EXACTLY the same as any normal lasagna recipe except that I use brown rice lasagna noodles and add more cheese.

Spaghetti

I again, do everything EXACTLY the same except that I use Quinoa noodles and mix my meat and noodles all together to serve as a team instead of individually.


*More recipes to come. I went a little crazy on Pinterest and have several more new meal ideas to try out. If they are a family hit I will post them here with original recipes and my substitutions for Gluten Free options.

No comments:

Post a Comment