Thursday, October 20, 2011

Goldylocks and ...A WHOLE LOTTA HAIR!!!

I AM ONE PROUD MAMA.

My girls both have LONG BEAUTIFUL naturally curly hair. It's a lot of hair to manage. Last week while going to Walmart my husband casually suggested we cut the girls' hair because of a recent wailing and gnashing of teeth situation that happened. I cannot handle frizzy wild hair, so up into a ponytail it goes. Isannah's hair has become proactive in it's idea of becoming more like dreadlocks. This doesn't work for me at all. I don't do dreadlocks and I don't do screaming when we have to comb the enormous snags out! Well unfortunately for my husband, the girls heard and began bouncing around since some of their friends had cut their hair short too. Rob and I took this into account because it'd mean WAY less work for me and it'd mean less product for hair and more time for me to get things done since showers usually take 30 minutes due to hair care. GAG ME. Extra time!? YES PLEASE!

I recently began reading Beth Moore's So Long, Insecurity (you've been a bad friend to us) with my Bible Study ladies. I thought at first, I think I have a few insecurities I'd like to get rid of...but upon reading the first couple of chapters I realize, HOLY CRAP...I HAVE A LOT!!! Anyway, I highly recommend it...its been amazing. I also found that a lot of my identity has been in my hair. In fact, a few other people have found identity in MY HAIR. Why? I'm not sure...but there it is...black and white...I guess since it's mine, I'll go ahead and do what I want, thank you very much. I realized too that I was asking myself, WHY would part of my identity and security be MY HAIR!? Its hair...ITS DEAD...And so I began to investigate abit more...how can I raise my girls to avoid some of the insecurities I've felt dealing with my hair? Well like this one...God says that in our abundance that we should give...because its better to give than to receive. Suddenly I jumped on my computer (okay not on it but in front of it because I try to just hit it when I'm mad since jumping causes alot more damage.) and began researching different places that make wigs and finding one that is geared to help children. I want my girls to see that they are doing something beautiful...they are giving something that they can personally say, "That was mine, and I gave it because I WANTED to." They are furthering God's Kingdom by 'giving to the least of these..." meaning those who need hair the most. I found that on the Locks of Love website that there were a lot of pictures of children giving hair and there were pictures of recipients. My girls have never really heard about cancer and the effects it has by its treatment methods. They read about how children lost their hair from going through chemotherapy and radiation. My heart broke as I read the information, but it hit me the hardest when my girls said that they 'had a lot of hair that they could give to a little girl with cancer.'

That's when I brought it up to Rob and since he wasn't too keen on the idea..."I don't want our girls to have any identity in their hair...nor the length of their hair." I even had to ask myself, do I have anxiety over cutting their hair because I actually have placed identity in their hair? Not in their ACTUAL hair...but the beauty of it? The compliments we receive for it? WOW, ouch...that's a crummy question and I found that shamefully I had to admit, yes...I did find pride in their hair...how silly! I have my own hair!?!?!?!?! They get to choose what they want to do with theirs and if giving it to a child who has cancer and has no hair....WHY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH WOULD I EVER STAND IN THE WAY and lets go deeper...SHOULDN'T I BE THE FIRST ONE TO APPLAUD AND ENCOURAGE THEM TO GIVE IN THEIR ABUNDANCE!? They are being absolutely selfless...and they were so excited to do this. I couldn't believe how mature they were being and how brave they were for giving so much and being 100% ready to help another child.
 These are the moments that, as a mother, I'm SO HONORED to witness!!!

    I'll let you peek into our Hair Whackin good time!

Our hairdresser is Christy. She was SO excited about being apart of this day for the girls. Thankfully she dealt with me as the crazy picture-taking (IN THE WAY) mother!


                                                                 Here's Isannah!

And Natty                                                                      Experiencing the whole hair salon!!!
Here we GO!!!!!!! Natty's first!!!!
SO LONG!!!















AND the BIG moment has COME!!!
Natty cut off 10 inches!!!!










THAT IS MY PRECIOUS DAUGHTER!!!! I'M SO PROUD OF THIS GIRL!!!!

I love how short it is!!!! She was giggling the whole time! Here's Christy cutting it into abit of a bob.
ALL DONE!!! See how grown up she looks!?!?
And now for Isannah!!!

Isannah donated 11 inches!!!!! I'M SO PROUD OF MY DAUGHTER!!!!


ISN'T SHE BEAUTIFUL!?!?!?
And now for styling!
I LOVE THIS!!!!
HERE THEY ARE!!!!
21 inches DONATED!!!!!
So there you have it!!! My girls LOVE their new hair cuts...I LOVE their haircuts! (It was a 10 minute shower for both!!!! THAT'S AWESOME!)
And they have experienced how blessed it is to give...than to receive.

1 comment:

  1. seriously so great! what amazing lil girls! And that pretty hair will make someones life so blessed!..:)

    ReplyDelete